Member, Board of Directors
Founded in 2015, Bold Idea is an education nonprofit based in Dallas that combines computer science, mentoring, and team-based learning to empower a diverse student population in Dallas and Collin Counties. Premised on the belief that computer science is foundational knowledge that ALL students need, Bold Idea's mission is to develop and empower young minds to execute their bold ideas as a team through the power of technology. Program participants learn computer science and 21st century skills through hands-on computing projects with support from trained, technical-skilled mentors.
Bold Idea's core educational programs, ideaSpark and CS First, serve boys and girls ages 8 - 16 of all demographics and socio-economic backgrounds. Delivered through both open-enrollment sessions and collaborations with schools and community centers, students learn and apply computer science skills via project-based learning. At the end of these after-school programs, students also develop skills in critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and perseverance.
Board of Directors Recruitment
Bold Idea is a public charity with tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code. Bold Idea’s immediate governing and fund development responsibilities rely on the support of a separate Board of Directors. The Board supports the work of Bold Idea and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Bold Idea’s president, the Board-President relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the President as s/he develops and implements Bold Idea’s strategic plan
- Approve Bold Idea’s annual budget, audit/progress reports and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Represent Bold Idea to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensure Bold Idea’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Bold Idea serves
- Determine which programs are consistent with the organization’s mission and monitor their effectiveness
- Contribute to an annual performance evaluation of the President
- Assist the President and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partner with the Board Chair and other Board Members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serve on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
Board members will consider Bold Idea a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Bold Idea can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations and individuals, Bold Idea requires that 100 percent of members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity, but no less than $2,500.
Bold Idea’s Board Members serve a two-year term to be eligible for reappointment for one additional term. Board meetings are held bi-monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings. Board Members are also expected to attend at least one program event during the year.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Bold Idea’s mission. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, philanthropy, education or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
At this time, Bold Idea is seeking Board Members with specific experience in at least one of the following areas:
- fund development
- strategic planning
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, education, philanthropy or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of Bold Idea’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a passion for improving the lives of Bold Idea’s beneficiaries
- Service on Bold Idea’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.