The volunteer program advisor is responsible for providing information, resources, advice and encouragement to volunteer mentors at two to three assigned program sites. She/he works to achieve high-quality program facilitation and the retention of students and volunteers by supporting mentors in leading the curriculum, addressing student behavior issues, and supporting other site logistics (as needed).
Because each site has its own unique set of strengths and challenges, the program advisor may serve as a resource for addressing those challenges and guiding mentors through that process. As requested by mentor teams and/or Bold Idea leadership, the advisor may conduct site visits to gain an understanding of each site and provide targeted feedback on identified challenges.
Term: Ideally, this position is a two-semester commitment - though we can be flexible with a volunteer’s availability
Time commitment: About 6 - 8 hours monthly, including program site visits and communicating with volunteer mentors
Volunteers should have:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to problem solve
- Demonstrate dependability, honesty, and credibility
- Understanding of the Bold Idea mission and program goals
- Ability to attend weekend or evening program sites
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility to work in new situations and address unforeseen challenges
- Ability to collaborate well, especially through gathering mentor/parent/student feedback
We will depend on the program site consultants to:
- Check-in with mentor teams regularly either in person at their sites, via Slack, via email, etc.
- Work with our volunteer mentors to identify and troubleshoot any challenges that may come up during the program semester (behavior issues, engagement, etc.)
- Support student and volunteer recruitment in the geographic region of your program sites
- Work with digital marketing team to locate student success stories
- Ensure collection of student measurement data and feedback
- Promote the volunteer awards program
- Identify opportunities to improve the program and discuss among the site consultant team and Bold Idea staff
- Record/share best practices from sites to highlight great ideas in facilitation, behavior management, student engagement, etc.
Reports to / coordinates with:
- Ben (curriculum content, facilitation, behavior management)
- Robyn (volunteer recruitment, student success stories, external partner management)
Benefits of volunteering:
- Develop skillset in program/project management to support career goals
- Network with professionals in the technology industry
- Support the delivery of Bold Idea’s mission to develop and empower young minds to execute bold ideas as a team through the power of technology